9/23/2007

Funny Car star John Force injured in NHRA event




Our Prayers go out to John Force! Through the years I have watch John Force and like many others feel like we know him and hope and pray for a speedy and full recovery. You and Ashley have kept mine and many others watching one of our Favorite sports "Drag Racing" for a lot of years! God Bless you Brother!

Watt-up
DALLAS -- Drag-racing star John Force was alert and conscious Sunday after sustaining serious injuries in a wreck with Funny Car rival Kenny Bernstein during the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex in Ennis.

Team spokesman Elon Werner said the 58-year-old Force broke his left ankle and his left wrist and suffered a severe abrasion to his right knee.

"John's chassis broke in half and the engine and front two wheels were over in Kenny's lane, and that's what Kenny hit," Werner said.

Force, a 14-time champion, was airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, where Werner said doctors planned surgery Sunday night to clean up the abrasions and possibly set the broken bones.

"He was alert and obviously in a lot of pain, but the whole time he was asking questions. His primary concern was for Kenny Bernstein," Werner said.

Werner said a CT scan came back negative for internal injuries. He also said Force sustained some minor fractures and severe abrasions to the tips of his fingers.

The John Force Team issued a statement saying the prognosis for a full recovery was very good.

The wreck occurred just after the two cars crossed the finish line in the second round of eliminations.

Daughter Ashley Force, also a Funny Car driver, pulled out of the semifinals.

Force's wife, Laurie; Ashley; and son-in-law Robert Hight -- also a Funny Car driver -- were with him at the hospital.

"First of all, I just pray that John's going to be OK," said Bernstein, who wasn't injured in the accident. "I know he's hurt and the main thing I'm praying for is that he gets 100-percent recovery. That's more important than anything right now for me, Sheryl, and our team. I know he was talking to me there and he was asking if he hurt me. That's typical John right there. He'll be OK. He's a strong-willed man. He'll be fine."

Top Fuel winner Larry Dixon spoke about Force.

"I'm glad that (John Force is) alive," Dixon said. "From that point you can fix anything. A lot of credit goes to the Safety Safari, the medical team, and the rules package for the way the cars have to be built so that you can survive an accident like that. I feel safer in my car that goes 330 mph than I do in my rental car going 55 mph on the way to the track. I feel like I could run over a nuclear bomb, and I trust in that. He'll be back racing one day. You can count on that."

Ennis is about 30 miles south-southeast of Dallas.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press


To Ashley Force Gallery

Please Leave Comments for John Force below!



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless you John and your Family. We'll light a candle for you, are prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there John! We're think of you.

Anonymous said...

Hope he is OK.
He's a great guy and a true legend.

Best wishes and thoughts to him and his family.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you John, and get well soon man, you’re a tough old bird, I know you’ll be back soon…

Anonymous said...

Watching John crash was like watching a family it felt like hours before they were able to get to him. I couldnt even watch I ran down the hallway to avoid what I didnt want to see….I kept asking my boyfriend…”Is he okay?”…”Is he okay?”

I know he’s tough and will make it through this … but that was so damn hard to watch.

Our prayers are with the Force family. The seaso wont end the same without you!!

Until next year…Rest. But I know your come back will be strong.

P.S. Ashley should have raced, because I think you would have wanted her to!! Even though I understand why she didnt.

My prayers again.

Anna

Anonymous said...

John, God be with you in this time. The sports nation is on our knees in prayer for you. Get well, we look forward to your smiling at all of us again... and soon.

Anonymous said...

John is a strong man. I will keep a prayer just for him. He's one of my favorite racers on the circuit. I wish all the best and a fast recovery!!

Anonymous said...

I was at the races yesterday (Saturday) and saw John and Ashley race wonderfully. I'm so sad to hear this news. I hope he has a quick recovery. The Force family is in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

we pray for you and await your return

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for the Force family.

Anonymous said...

John, God be with you in this time. The sports nation is on our knees in prayer for you. Get well, we look forward to your smiling at all of us again... and soon.

Anonymous said...

We just heard of the terrible crash John was in. Our thoughts and prays are with The Force Family. Team Force has been our favorite racing team for many years. My kids grew up racing to get John sign his picture (Which he always did) I'll keep John in my Prays for speedy recovery. God Bless each and every one of you, including the other Team Force racing members. Take care!
Always be your fan

Anonymous said...

I am praying for John to get better! I've been a fan for along time!!
Get well soon!!!